We are exploring restarting the Hunting Point Tenants Association in response to the series of negative events and issues in the last year since the property was sold to the Laramar Group by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDoT), the previous owners of Hunting Point in 2013.
We want to create an organization and community that protects the rights of the residents and addresses many different aspects of our quality of life here at Hunting Point on the Potomac.
The larger and more inclusive our group, the greater our chance for success in getting our complaints addressed by the management of Hunting Point and the City of Alexandria.
Although this organization is envisioned for current tenants, given some of the long term health risks recently discussed, we may welcome some level of membership and participation by former residents (which will be addressed when creating the Associations By-Laws).
These webpages are being set up and updated at this time as we try to gauge interest in restarting a credible and inclusive Tenants Association.
Check the Health & Safety Page for information about the upcoming meeting with the U.S. EPA about Asbestos Issues.
Residents are encouraged to briefly meet after Monday night's EPA meeting to discuss this Association.
PLEASE ADD YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION in the "Email List Sign-Up" along the right-hand margin so we can create a contact mailing list.
Please include your:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Apartment Number with Building Designator
- (C) for Center Building, 1202
- (W) for West Building, 1204
- (XC) for Former Center Building, 1202
- (XW) for Former West Building, 1202
REMEMBER, once you press "ADD" you will need to confirm your "Sign Up" by responding to the email you will be sent automatically.
If you are in doubt whether you are registered or not from our previous efforts please register (again) and we will remove duplicates registrations based date from our database.
We need ONE ORGANIZATION that REPRESENTS ALL THE TENANTS (or at least a significant majority) that:
- Represents all the tenants as a group (strength in numbers) in discussions and negotiations with the management of Hunting Point, Laramar, as well as the City of Alexandria on a variety of topics including protecting the Quality of Life and Tenants Rights at Hunting Point (Specific topics for these discussions will be discussed on the Issues page).
The City of Alexandria has previously commented that they have been contacted by "different groups" and thus have side-stepped responding to the residents needs by claiming there is "no official or unified tenants group". Having one group that representing everyone eliminates their (weak) argument.
- Has elected officials who can be authorized (by disccusion and vote) to speak and act for the Association.
- Holds (regular) meetings among the tenants to discuss, address and organize issues.
- Communicates with the tenants, and operates in an atmosphere of openness and civil discussion of our issues.
OUR NEXT STEPS:
- Collect contact information (Email sign-up) and gauge interest in restarting the Association.
IF we get sufficient interest in (re)starting the Association (through Email sign-ups and residents participation in the organizing of the Association) we can move on to:
- Hold Organizational Meetings for all who want to volunteer to help get this going.
- Create a "Steering Group" of "Temporary Officers".
- Hold meeting(s) for ALL TENANTS and past residents to discuss concerns and explain what the Association is all about.
- Create and Adopt By-Laws so tenants/members have a clear understanding of "What the Association will do and How it will be run."
- Enroll Members and Create a "Membership Roll" of tenants and former tenants to demonstrate that the Association represents the (majority of) residents to the City of Alexandria and Hunting Point management.
- Elect Officers by the registered members (to replace the Temporary Officers).
- Start taking action on the list of Issues the group agrees to and prioritizes.
Please share this website with your neighbors, and check back soon for updated news!
We initially tried to start this Association before the sale of Hunting Point in 2012/2013 to:
- Explore the possibility of a resident/tenant purchase of the complex from VDoT.
- Address needed short term repairs to things like the common areas (pool, elevators, gym, bike rooms, trash rooms, picnic area, meeting room, mail rooms, etc.) with VDoT and their agent Grady Management.
- To ensure long term repairs and improvements and reasonable improvements were not delayed by VDoT because the buildings might be sold (VDoT had attempted to sell the complex several times over the years, each time delaying needed repairs presumably to save money).
Unfortunately, many residents stopped participating in this Association once it became evident that resident purchase was not possible, so work on this Association ceased (despite some concerns that an organization was needed to represent the residents' interests). Later, following Laramar's purchase of the property other attempts were made to create organizations by different groups with limited or without success.
PREVIOUS EFFORTS & GROUPS:
We understand that there have been different resident groups and interest groups here at Hunting Point in the past, and we appreciate all of their efforts. The Hunting Point Tenants Association represents a fresh start and is reaching out to all residents, regardless of previous affiliation.